If your customers are based in the Eurozone, you are required to contact them to let them know of this change under SEPA Direct Debit scheme rules.
- Requirements when notifying customers of a change in provider
- Example email template to notify customers
- Retrieving customer mandate references:
If you are moving active mandates from another Direct Debit provider to GoCardless, you are required to contact your customers informing them of this change. The customer must be notified of the change in advance of the first payment being charged through the new provider.
This correspondence must include:
- Confirmation of the change from/to SEPA Direct Debit provider
- The customer's unique mandate reference
- Confirmation of the old and new scheme identifier
- The date from which the change will take place
If you are not joining GoCardless on our Pro package, you will only know your customers' mandate references once set up with GoCardless. (Merchants using our Pro package are able to set their own preferred custom mandate references).
Customers are not required to approve or give consent for their new SEPA Direct Debit mandate to be set up within our system. The authorisation given to the merchant under the existing mandate is sufficient.
Dear [Customer name],
We have changed Direct Debit providers and so we're getting in touch to let you know of your new details.
You will now see [unique mandate reference] and [creditor identifier] on your bank statement moving forward. No action is required from you to continue paying by Direct Debit, and this change will not affect the service you are receiving.
If you have any questions about this change, please don't hesitate to contact us on [merchant contact details].
You can export a list of all mandate references via your dashboard.
1. Open the Events tab
2. Change the filters to show active mandates
3. Click Export
4. Click on the download once the dot turns green
5. The reference will be displayed in the CSV file under mandates.reference (column P)
To locate the mandate reference:
1. Click on the Customers tab
2. Click on the customer
3. Click on the Bank account
4. Select the Mandate
The mandate reference will be listed in the Reference field of the details section at the top of the page.
You can find information on retrieving customer mandate reference via the API by clicking here